Judo originated in the Principality in 1949, under the impetus of Theresus Imbert and Doctor Louis Orecchia. At that time the club was called Jiu-Jitsu-Club and the activity took place at the former Louis II Stadium in Monaco. The Club was affiliated with the French Federation of Judo and associated disciplines, so members of the club participated in all French competitions.
In 1967, the name Jiu Jitsu was changed to Judo Club of Monaco. It was only in 1974 that the founding members created the Monégasque Federation of Judo and associated disciplines, to enable Monégasque judokas to participate in international competitions and represent the Principality. However, the members remained affiliated to the French federation. But in 1975, the Federation was integrated into the European Judo Union and the following year it was admitted to the International Judo Federation.
Over time, judo earnt more of a reputation. In addition, new volunteers joined the management team, which in 1993 entrusted all the courses (children, adults, competitors) to the National Technical Director Mr Marcel Pietri. Thanks to the quality of his teaching, his personal achievements, and his expert knowledge of the sport, the reputation of the Club continues to grow. So is the number of people who are laid off.