Sainte-Dévote Church

Founded in the first centuries of Christianity on the tomb of the martyr Patroness of the Principality, the chapel of Sainte Dévote belonged from the 11th century until 1793 to the abbey of Saint Pons near Nice.

Restored and enlarged by Prince Charles III, the church was re-inaugurated on 26th January 1871. It then became a parish church on 15th March 1887. Its territory corresponds to the district of La Condamine, from Port Hercule to boulevard Rainier III.

Saint Devote is Patroness of the Principle Family, the Principality and the Archdiocese of Monaco. Martyrdom in Corsica in Mariana (in the current commune of Lucciana), during the reign of the Roman Emperor Diocletian in 304. His body was transported to the Gaumates valley, where he was buried. With the cult of the martyrs, the devotion of Saint Devotee was transmitted from generation to generation. Legend, various artistic and folkloric forms have taken hold of the attachment of the Corsicans and Monégasques to their Patron Saint. The latter is celebrated on 27th January in the Cathedral of Monaco. The relics of Saint Devote are brought in procession and the bishops bless the Prince’s Palace, the city of Monaco and the sea.

On the morning of 26th January, a mass; given in the Monégasque language; is celebrated, followed by the blessing of those who died at sea. In the evening of the same day, a time of prayer (Salvation of the Blessed Sacrament) brings together the Archbishop and the clergy, the Prince, his Family and the authorities of the Principality, as well as many of the faithful. A boat is then burnt in the square, causing a bonfire for all. Finally, a firework display is offered to young and old alike on the Port.