After a fantastic duel against the Belgian Thierry Neuville won on the wire (2”2 in advance), the world champion has sealed his return to Citroën victoriously. 7th win in the Principality, sixth in a row!
Until the end of its azure apotheosis, this Sunday morning, the 87th Monte Carlo Rally will have held spellbound the many fans massed on the slopes of the mountain passes, Turini (SS 13 and 15) and Braus (ES 14 and 16).
Sébastien Ogier or Thierry Neuville? The champion or the challenger? France or Belgium? Citroen C3 or Hyundai i20? It was, therefore, necessary to wait for the arrival of the last sector timed to know the outcome of this edition 2019 thrilling since the departure to Gap, Thursday evening. Worthy of the legend of the “Monté”. And the winner is … Sébastien Ogier.
While he had only 4 tenths of margin from the final ES, the six-time French World Champion triumphed on the wire, with 2”2 in advance, for his first with Citroën since 2011, offering to the French brand its 100th success in the World Rally Championship (WRC). This is the 7th triumph of the top alpine pilot at the foot of the Rock.
So here he equals the record of Sébastien Loeb.
Estonian Ott Tänak (Toyota), 2’15”2, completes the top 3. As for Loeb, who made his debut with Hyundai, he finished 4th 13 seconds off the podium.
- Sebastien Ogier – Julien Ingrassia (FRA / Citroen C3 WRC) 3h21’15”9
- Thierry Neuville – Nicolas Gilsoul (BEL / Hyundai i20 WRC) at 2”2
- Ott Tänak – Martin Järveoja ( EST / Toyota Yaris WRC) at 2’15”2
- Sebastien Loeb – Daniel Elena (FRA-MON / Hyundai i20 WRC) at 2’28”2
- Jari-Matti Latvala – Mikka Anttila (FIN / Toyota Yaris) WRC). at 2’29”9