Under the auspices of the Department of the Interior and the Prefecture of the Alpes-Maritimes, a major civil security exercise is scheduled in the “Rainier III” road tunnel, on Tuesday 27th November between 9 pm and midnight.
This cross-border structure is a vital axis, especially for the western exit of the Principality and access to the A8 / A500 motorway, used every day by several thousand vehicles.
The exercise will be based on an accident in the upper part of the tunnel between an intercity bus and several passenger vehicles, resulting in many casualties. It will allow the implementation of the binational rescue plan to coordinate and set up the rescue chain between the Principality of Monaco and the department of Alpes-Maritimes.
More than 200 “active forces” will be engaged in this exercise, including for the Monegasque part:
- The Department of the Interior
- The Fire Brigade Corps of Monaco
- The Directorate of Public Security
- The Directorate of Health Affairs
- The Prince’s Carabinier Corps
- The Princess Grace Hospital Center (Emergencies and SMUR)
- The Monegasque Red Cross
- The Integrated Management and Mobility Center
- The Directorate of Perspective Planning
- Urban Planning and Mobility
- The Compagnie des Carabiniers du Prince Buses from Monaco
As for the French part:
- The Prefecture of the Alpes Maritimes
- The National Gendarmerie
- The Emergency Medical Assistance Service (SAMU)
- The Interministerial Department of Defense and Civil Protection
- The Departmental Fire Department and Rescue of Alpes-Maritimes
- The Municipality of Cap d’Ail
This exercise is a continuation of the various significant exercises carried out in recent years with the Principality:
- Earthquake in the Ligurian Sea (Monoïkos and Richter exercises) in connection with the Alpes-Maritimes Préfecture
- An accident in the Monaco railway tunnel (binational exercise), – Terrorist attack in the Rainier III Auditorium.
It allows regular training of both Monegasque and French intervention forces.