Advertising »

The benefits of remote working are being felt in the Principality


The benefits of remote working are beginning to make waves in the Principality. Here’s a look at some of the positive effects and what that will mean for workers in the Rocher.

According to the Monegasque government’s official website, remote working is a form of work organization using information technology as part of an employment contract, and in which work, which could also have been carried out on the employer’s premises, is carried out away from the premises on a regular basis.This methodology meets multiple interests. For employees, it allows greater autonomy, more personal time and a reduction in travel time. The employee can, therefore, more easily manage to reconcile their professional activity and private life, thus improving their overall quality of life. In addition, this form of work facilitates access to employment for people with restricted mobility.

The effects from France’s movement toward remote working being felt in the Principality

The site Metis reported that in 2009, France’s National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies (INSEE) observed a strong increase in remote working positions. Based on her annual survey of ICT use in enterprises, it noted that 22% of businesses with computers engaged in teleworking activities. According to the INSEE, telecommuting was massively practiced in ICT-related service companies (55%), financial services (49%), business services, consulting and advertising.


The Metis site continued to say that in a report on teleworking in large French companies, Greenworking estimated in 2012 at 12.4% the proportion of French employees who telework at least 8 hours per month. The idea of teleworking has become commonplace for three out of four employers, but the practice has not yet become institutionalized: 75% of the major groups are still in the experimental phase with a pilot project involving an average of 30 to 200 employees “. According to Greenworking, teleworking also concerned men and women as well as all generations. “The typical profile of the teleworker challenges many prejudices. First, telework is neither specifically female (63% men) nor specifically young (only 3% of teleworkers are under 30). Teleworking can bring as many benefits to all generations, especially to seniors for whom teleworking can be a relevant transition to retirement. ”

A survey was conducted this summer among Monegasque companies that offer telecommuting positions. With the results officially released, the outcome is very encouraging.

In the Principality, 61 companies set up telecommuting opportunities. Whether engaged on a volunteer basis from an employee or part of the original terms of recruitment, the manner of working still raises a lot of questions in a traditional working setting. With that in mind, the Monegasque government has made this modern working method one of its priorities for the years to come. Adopted by the private sector in 2016, it now concerns 665 employees, 60% of whom are men and 40% are women. Only 5% of teleworkers are physically based in Monaco, while the other 95% are in neighboring communities or in France.

Advertising »

Employer satisfaction

The result of the questionnaire sent out to the multiple employers engaged in the project was rather positive. To analyze the results of this survey, about twenty business representatives were received at the Ministry of State. Their analysis shows that businesses are generally satisfied with the effects of telecommuting workers. First off, productivity improved. The time formerly allotted to commuting was indeed reinvested in effective working hours and teleworkers were shown to be even more reactive. If the newfound flexibility did not function well for a particular employee, their original office working circumstances were restored.

This is a positive endeavour that should encourage the government to continue to develop this methodology within public service positions. Meanwhile, the government adviser for social affairs and health, Didier Gamerdinger, who “believes a lot” in this practice, asked the Italian authorities to think about the possibility of opening it to transalpine workers.

*Part of this aritcle was originally reported on the French edition of the Monaco Tribune.

Advertising »