In the build-up to the Nice-Monaco match that ended in a draw earlier this week, Dmitri Rybolovlev denied all the rumors about the sale of the Monegasque club.
“You have certainly heard rumors about the possible change of ownership of the club. We have denied them many times and I think that the projects we are presenting today are the best confirmation of our long-term commitment. The club, for me, is not just a business project, it’s also a story of passion.” These statements were made by Dmitri Rybolovlev at a press conference ahead of the derby between OGC Nice and AS Monaco. With this speech, the director of the sports club affirmed his intention to once and for all end the rumors of a potential sale that had emerged in recent months.
It must be said that the arguments presented before the whistle between the two clubs Riviera were rather convincing. First on the list, the announcement of the upcoming opening of a state-of-the-art AS Monaco Performance Center in La Turbie. This 7,500 m2 sporting/multifunctional site will house three football fields, a fitness room, a medical center, recovery and physical reeducation area, a restaurant, and an auditorium with accommodation for up to 80. This is all in compliance with the requirements from UEFA and the French Football Federation.
The site, scheduled to be delivered between 2020 and 2021, should cost a stunning 55 million euros. The investment, however consequential, was deemed necessary by the AS Monaco management team. “The club will soon have one of the most modern performance centers in Europe,” said Vadim Vasiliev, vice president & general manager. “It is essential to have high-level tools to allow our players to work in the best conditions as well as to welcome our sponsors, partners, supporters with a center that reflects our ambitions.”
Another proof of the current leadership’s commitment is the long-awaited arrival of footballer Cesc Fabregas, presented to the press before the match with Nice. With Thierry Henry on the bench and Fabregas on the field, there is renewed confidence that AS Monaco will quickly return to their winning ways after Wednesday night’s draw. In any case, this is what Dmitri Rybolovlev believes, and he has declared that he will do whatever it takes to make that happen.
*Originally published on the French edition of the Monaco Tribune.